Linking Harris with Scalpay in Scotland’s Western Isles. A special installation method with a tie back is part of the successful delivery of the composite Scalpay bridge. This 1,700 tonnes box girder is of an inclined leg type, 3 sections of approx. 100 metres are installed with a special tie back arrangement, preventing the bridge from inclining forward. After installation a concrete deck slab of 30 centimetres thick completed the composite bridge.
- LocationIsle of Harris/isle of Scalpay, Outer Hebrides, Scotland
- DimensionsLength 300 metres Width 8 metres
- Weight1,600 tonnes
- Contract AwardAugust 1996
- ClientWestern Isles Council
- Subcontract fromEdmund Nuttall, Scottish Division